[buug] Seek the Wisdom Of Our Elder Geeks

Zeke Krahlin ezekielk at goct.net
Fri Mar 19 12:59:05 PDT 2010

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:

> So, be anti-corporate, left-wing, and anti-establishment[3] if that
> makes you happy -- hey, you're in Berkeley, after all -- but don't claim
> that the Elder Geeks predominantly share your political and economic
> views, as I greatly doubt that is so.

That has not been my experience at all, with the "older set", not just
from whom I've met personally, but also on various Internet discussion
groups. For the most part, they all tend towers the moderate, and left
of that. They tend to frown at things "google" and those who see only
the dollar sign when discussing FS and OSS. I did not say that *all
elder geeks are that way, just most...I'm sure there are *some on the
right. But this turn towards conservative views among geeks is more
recent, and not a phonomenon of the first wave...who are all as old as
the hills by now.  :P

I don't think I'm at all unreasonable or inaccurate to describe the
origins of the Free Software and Open Source movement as coming from
the left, with main influence the Free Speech Movement. I've gone
through more articles, which have only made me feel that much more
confident, to describe Mr. Stallman as a political and social
renegade...in the healthy sense of that phrase. And by extension, the
entire birth of the personal computer, and explosion of hackers and
free software:

Quote from [
http://www.informationdelight.info/encyclopedia/entry/counter-culture ]:

In his essay ''From Satori to Silicon Valley'' (published 1986),
cultural historian Theodore Roszak made the point that the Apple
Computer emerged from within the West Coast counterculture. Roszak
gives a bit of background on the development of the prototype models
of these original home computers and on the two Steves' ( Steve
Wozniak and Steve Jobs , the computer's developers) evolution toward
being businessmen. In fact, a considerable number of early computing
and networking pioneers – after discovering LSD and roaming the
campuses of UC Berkeley, Stanford, and MIT in the late 60s and early
70s – would emerge from this caste of social "misfits" to shape the
modern world.

--

Quote from [
http://www.datenteiler.de/translations/anarchy-and-source-code/ ]:

In Hackers, Levy wrote down the history of the hacker culture and the
hacker ethics at MIT until its temporarily ending in 1984. The whole
last chapter is concerned with Richard Stallman which Levy considers
to be the last one of the true hackers. Stallman believes that the
hacker culture at MIT was an example for a great and anarchistic
organization that worked perfectly until it was eliminated. Stallman
took the hacker culture as an example and founded a new community, the
GNU Project, one important cornerstone of the Free Software Movement....

The new hackers were not really interested in the hacker ethic.
Stallman had learned in the computer center of the MIT that an
anarchist Institution was possible. But there was a lack of combatants
because of the decentralization of the hackers by the home computer.
In the beginning of the 1980’s Stallman felt like the last adherent of
a dead movement with anarchistic principles. This movement he wanted
to revitalize. With the free software movement the hacker culture was
reborn and Stallman started to free the source code from proprietary
licenses.

The free software movement with GNU, BSD and Open Source Initiative is
the radical anarchistic criticism of today’s order of the intellectual
property, not only in the liberal society of the United States but
also in the whole globalized world. In contrast to the representatives
of BSD or the market-economic anarchism of Eric Raymond from the OSI,
Stallman postulates a corporate anarchism which expresses in relation
to intellectual property freely adapted from the French anarchist
Jean-Pierre Proudhon, that property is robbery....

The very thought of leaving markets and the exchange of property
behind is as inconceivable to many people today as the enclosure and
privatization of land and labor into property relations must have been
more than half a millennium ago. (Rifkin 2000, 14)

Stallman and the GNU people of the free software movement do not only
want to free software but also music and books from proprietary
licenses. In an interview with Spiegel Online Stallman says why: “I
tend toward the left-wing anarchist idea that we should get together
voluntarily and think about how we can care for all by cooperation.”
(Klagges 1996).

--end quotes

Of course, not all elder geeks were direct participants of the
counterculture, but most would admit, that's part of history, the
origin of FS and OSS. The movers and shakers of the hacker world, and
free software, were in most part, a product of the new-found freedom
of the 60's, in its rebellion to shake off the extreme conformism so
prevalent in the 50's.

I also question your conclusion that the ideological clash between FS
and OSS is trivial at this point...when the very foundations of
capitalism are now being questioned...and for darn good reason. Just
watched M. Moore's "Capitalism: A Love Affair", and was impressed by
his clarification of the real problem w/Capitalism, how it seeks
profit for corporations w/no regard for its workers who made them
rich. Actually, I think M. Moore didn't go far enough in citing the
severity of the damage done...as all the folks on camera who were
workers suffering the abuses of Corporate hegemony, look rather
healthy and happy in spite of their demise. The worst examples of
abuse on the film, struck me as a walk in the park, compared to the
evil manifesting in real life, as more and more people lose their
livelihoods, homes, health and even lives as a result of moneyed
privileged over the common man.

Perhaps as official organizations, FSF and OSI have ironed out all
their differences. But ideologically speaking, I don't think FS and
OSS are such great bedfellows.

At this point of our discussion, I have only done perusal examination
in regards to your challenges...and have found no real errors in my
article. Perhaps my enthusiasm to counter those who see the 60's as
nothing more than a trivial and ridiculous "hippie movement", has
caused me to emphasize the left-wing influence. I find the Free Speech
Movement a most vital and serious era that challenged the status quo
back then...black equality, morality of war, poverty, abuse of women
and minorities, and so on.

It is with great pride I consider the hacker/FS movement as one of the
most wildly successful political and social movements springing out of
the counterculture. OSS folks seem to have forgotten their origins at
best, or trivialize them at worst...with no regard for the ethics of
free software so carefully constructed by R. Stallman.

Now, maybe it's just that I haven't had my coffee for the day, and I
need some more time and research to consider your informed viewpoint.
To assure you: I will keep your remarks in mind over the next few
weeks, and continue my research, and will make *any* changes to my
article if I see your critique necessitates such, in order to be fair
and true to Linux/FS history.

But for now, I feel the best solution between our two perspectives, is
simply to post your original comment, to my blog entry, and let it
stand.

--
Zeke Krahlin
https://zekeblog.wordpress.com