[buug] Seek the Wisdom Of Our Elder Geeks

Zeke Krahlin ezekielk at goct.net
Fri Mar 19 14:22:43 PDT 2010

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:

> I posted here (because I participate here); I did not post _there_
> (having _not_ decided to participate in your or, frankly, any other
> blog's comment feature).  It would not be polite on your part to copy
> what I wrote to elsewhere without my saying it's OK.
>
> So, don't do that.  It's really not nice.

Perish the thought. I'm amused that you'd even post that I'd be likely
to commit such an offense, rather than do so only with your
permission. That does smak of intentional defamation. :(

> The people _willing_ to unburden themselves to you (to
> anyone, but specifically to you) on politico-economic matters would tend
> to be heavily slanted towards being fellow freaks.  (I use the term with
> affection, I hope you know.)

Actually, I usually get a lot of flack and harassment, since society
has taken a broad swing to the right. I *rarely* receive favorable
replies. But when I do, it all makes up for all the nastiness. I
persist in taking a stand for what I know is right (that is, "left"),
regardless of how many have betrayed their hearts, and now scorn
common decency. This is indeed a culture war. But I also realize that
sanity will eventually right itself, and I am only ahead of the
times...or to put it another way, carrying the torch.

> And I really don't care if you attempt to hurl citations of Roszak,
> Levy, and, for the love of Cthulhu, _Proudhon_.  You're talking about my
> friends and acquaintances of some forty years, and, no matter how much
> you try to use vague rhetoric about 'renegades', 'social misfits', and 'the
> counterculture', you're simply factually wrong on your major point.

Stallman has consistently described himself as "left wing". You are
being at least as ideological as I am. Stop pretending.

> That is _not_ what I said.  In fact, I said nothing at all about
> 'ideological clash', which is your obsession, not mine.  Shall we recap?

See what I get for posting before my first coffee! Your point is
respected, just disagreed with. I do think *you* exaggerate my
political bias to the point of stereotype. Which is *exactly* what I
experience so much these days, even in the liberal Bay Area...with
attempts to suppress anything and everything good about the 60's Free
Speech Movement.

They may be your friends, but you are speaking for them in some ways
antithetic to what they themselves have explicity stated.

You are quite incorrect in suggesting that posting your original
comment to my blog entry would cause pro-Zeke biased comments to
overtake yours. In fact, I am willing to let your comment stand, and
look like a fool, myself as a result.

But if you don't want to have your remarks connected with my article,
I can surely understand.

Sounds to me like a lot of right wing extremists have infiltrated
various geek organizations, and possibly out of fear, older members
are going along with the game, in order to have *some* presence and
recognition. The downfall of the Weimar Repulic redux? I can hear the
goosesteps approach my door, this very moment!

--
Zeke Krahlin
http://www.gay-bible.org