[buug] loops and pipe sinks are subshells, aaaargh

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Wed Aug 3 15:26:45 PDT 2011

Ian> After all these years with Unix I still don't know how to deal with
Ian> this annoying misfeature of the shell, without going into
Ian> ridiculous contortions:

Ian>  [30]matica:~$ foo=1 ; for a ; do foo=bar ; done [31]matica:~$ echo
Ian> $foo 1

This example is bogus - the loop doesn't get executed.  This works:

 [40]matica:~$ foo=1 ; for a in baz ; do foo=bar ; done
 [41]matica:~$ echo $foo
bar

So, it's the pipe that is the sole culprit, not the loop.

Still looking for answers in the pipe case ...

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD