[buug] Berkeley Unix User's Group

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 9 16:55:40 PDT 2011

Quoting Karen Hogoboom (khogoboom at gmail.com):

> I am on the buug mailing list and I did not get an original copy of the
> email.  jaimef responded to me personally that buug is a moderated list and
> that his posting did not get in.  Are you sure it was buug that he posted to
> originally?

You're _still_ on about that?  And somehow that's _my_ problem?

Yes, buug at weak.org was in jaimef at mauthesis.com's list of recipients on
the mail (of his) that I received and to which I replied-all.  Something
like:

To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Cc: buug at weak.org

If I had to speculate, it might have been that jaimef at mauthesis.com
had posted from a non-subscribed address, such that Mailman then discarded
or rejected his posting, such that subscribers other than me didn't get
copies.  Not really my concern:  I'm not the listadmin.  Point is, I
reasonably interpreted what I'd received as being a mailing list
posting, because the author's headers said it was one.

OK?  I am not jaimef at mauthesis.com's keeper.  Nor am I a free-of-charge
public utility for analysis of other people's SMTP puzzles.

> > > I will now assume that cross-posting is o.k.
> >
> > Your statement appears to be non-sequitur
>
> My guess was that you know him from another list or another context
> that I am not included in, and that you quoted him into our
> discussion.

_Why_ am I obliged to explain why your statement was non-sequitur,
Karen?  Can't you figure it out?

You stated that you had concluded that 'cross-posting is o.k.', thus
implicitly assuming that I'd cross-posted.  As you should have
understood long before now, your assumption was simply incorrect:
I had not cross-posted.  Therefore, your assumption that my
cross-posting made cross-posting OK was non-sequitur (even if it were
true that my doing X automatically makes X OK, which is obviously not a
rational conclusion even if it is at least a tiny bit flattering).

Now, please, if there are aspects of mailing list management that you're
having a problem with, kindly cease bothering me, your fellow
subscriber.  I don't even administer this mailing list.  Like Zaphod
Beeblebrox, I'm just this guy, y'know?

I shouldn't be obliged to waste huge amounts of time for no better
reason than (speculating) jaimef at mauthesis.com attempting to post from
an unsubscribed address and you then being unable to figure out what
happened and posting bad guesses about it.  Please don't bother me again
about this.  Thank you.