[buug] process running all the time that sucks up ... (PAM?)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 10 18:06:34 PST 2011

That's not what I said.  Whether or not such process(es) exist is
generally speaking quite independent of PAM.  That you see something
like:
login [pam]
in the ps(1) listing, is just login's way of telling you it utilizes
PAM.  If it didn't you'd probably just see:
login
If you want to disable any and all processes that wait/listen for a
login, you probably could ... but then logging in would be quite a
challenge - even from the console.

Unix/Linux/BSD, etc. - multiuser multitasking operating system.  That
generally requires some means to authenticate and something that somehow
"listens", in one way or another, for such a request.