[buug] learning shell (Shell book), etc. - objectives?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu May 5 18:16:33 PDT 2011

Unix/Linux is quite relevant for many areas, shell is or may be rather
to quite relevant for many areas too.  Can you say a bit more about
objectives, or what you hope to find/achieve, or what you wish to
have/find in such book(s) you seek?  Perhaps a bit more about what you
did/didn't like in the book(s) you've looked at so far.

Besides myself, there are probably many on this list that may be able
to make some excellent recommendations - but it would likely help if we
better knew what you were more/most specifically interested in, and
perhaps also what type(s)/style(s) of books you find more - and less -
useful/effective for you (not everyone likes or prefers the same style
or type of book - different approaches and materials often work
differently for various folks).

Also, disclaimer :-) ... I've read *very* few shell books (close to
zero), so I'm probably not best one to make recommendation on *shell*
books.  I've read many Unix/Linux and related books - but there are
also many such books I've also not read - many of which may also be
good/excellent.  (In more recent years, I'm typically mostly reading
various bits of reference materials, articles, and the like, rather
than entire books on such topics ... though there are exceptions, and
sometimes I also use suitable books for reference or to clarify
points/areas that aren't otherwise documented or very well documented).