[buug] GUI wrapper for CLI programs?

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Fri May 20 09:05:33 PDT 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 10:52:43 -0500
Claude Rubinson <cjr at grundrisse.org> wrote:

Claude> What I'd like to do is develop a GUI wrapper around this suite
Claude> for non-commandline use.  This application would basically be a
Claude> commandline prompt plus menu bar and tool bar.  From the menu
Claude> bar, the user could click "Analyze -> $FOO_TEST" and a dialog
Claude> box would pop up for the user to enter the parameters for
Claude> $FOO_TEST.  When the user clicked "Ok", the application would
Claude> build the commandline string, echo it to the main window, and
Claude> execute it.  The idea would be to gently introduce the user to
Claude> using the commandline but hold the user's hand through it.

Claude> This seems like a fairly obvious idea, so I'm wondering if such
Claude> a solution might already exist?  It does need to be
Claude> cross-platform (Win, OSX, and Unix).

Python/Tk ?

Without the x-platform requirement, I'd say Emacs :-P

--
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org>
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD