[buug] Stupid distributions

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 27 01:38:05 PDT 2011

Quoting Ian Zimmerman (itz at buug.org):

> You just have to run Debian installer in expert mode to get all that is
> "good" and none that is "stupid" in that fine distribution.  Of course,
> you know that ;-)  I just thought I'd point it out for the OP.

The problem I had was that Karen hasn't yet elaborated on what she
has found to be 'stupid stuff' in Linux distributions of her
acquaintance, so I was left to speculate as best I could.  So, I
thought, which distributions lead the field for internal architectural
elegance and leanness -- lack of baroque infrastructure?  Slackware,
CRUX, and Arch seemed like the standard-bearers.

I am lastingly fond of Debian-family distributions' internal
architecture, and describe (in part) the process I recently used to
build a cutting-edge yet sparse Debian workstation here:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2011-May/006209.html
Yet, I am obliged to admit that Debian-family distributions have more
internal structure (and some outright odd Debianisms) than is strictly
necessary, and that Slackware feels starkly functional by comparison.