[buug] Berkeley Unix User's Group

Karen Hogoboom khogoboom at gmail.com
Sun May 29 07:27:27 PDT 2011

Hi Ian,

No, I was not referring to the X Window System.  The following supports what
I originally thought when I started attending BUUG.  I.e., that Xerox Parc
was behind the commercial research and development of computer windowing
systems as viewed on the computer monitor.  I didn't know about the earlier
research that the Wiki page mentions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_graphical_user_interface

I disagree with Richard Stallman's position that all software should be
free.  I am an American citizen and largely athiest also.  I think people
should get credit for their accomplishments, and paid for their work.  I am
a capitalist, not a communist.  I especially don't think that women should
support men's work without getting paid for it.

I think that people who think that Communism is a superior economic system
to Captalism should go to a Communist country where they won't be surrounded
by people they have to put down and criticize all the time.

Karen

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:10:53 -0700
> Karen Hogoboom <khogoboom at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Karen> why are we still screwing around with broken MIT stuff ?!
>
> [caps and extra punctuation removed, sorry]
>
> Do you mean X-Window?  Well, take a look at the size of the source tree.
> It is just too much for a bunch of volunteers to handle.  To replace it
> will take a company (or a group of companies) willing to finance the
> project, while keeping it FOSS.  Plus of course everything depends on
> the API, so on some level at least it will have to be compatible.
>
> If you mean something else, please specify.
>
> --
> Ian Zimmerman
> gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD
> fingerprint: 66DC D68F 5C1B 4D71 2EE5  BD03 8A00 786C C6FF 61AD
> Rule 420: All persons more than eight miles high to leave the court.

Karen Lee Hogoboom
Computer Programmer
Phone:  (510) 666-8298
Mobile:  (510) 407-4363