[buug] Another newsserver bites the dust

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue May 22 09:36:15 PDT 2012

The nntp server on x-privat.org which I have used for a while is going
offline.  (The notice on their website says effective June 1 but in fact
they refuse nntp connections as of now.)

Does anyone know of a working nntp server which allows posting?  Text
groups only is fine (preferred in fact), SSL and authentication is
preferred, free beer is preferred but maybe a small donation wouldn't be
out of question.

SBC aka AT&T (our ISP) doesn't seem to have one anymore:

 [10+0]~$ dig news.sbcglobal.net

[... answers shortened ...]

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;news.sbcglobal.net.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
news.sbcglobal.net.	6281	IN	CNAME	news.pi.sbcglobal.net.

 [11+0]~$ dig news.pi.sbcglobal.net

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;news.pi.sbcglobal.net.		IN	A

--
Ian Zimmerman