[buug] Devin Teske on FreeBSD @ BALUG TOMORROW! Tu 2012-11-20

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 19 22:00:16 PST 2012

Devin Teske on FreeBSD @ BALUG TOMORROW! Tu 2012-11-20

Sorry I/we didn't have details/confirmation earlier.
Since this isn't strictly a LINUX group, I thought the update
significant enough some would now want to see that on this list.

Here's key updated bits:

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG) meeting
TOMORROW Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2012-11-20 Devin Teske on FreeBSD [updated]

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

For our 2012-11-20 BALUG meeting, we are pleased to present:
Devin Teske, FreeBSD[1] "src" developer - join us for an informal
FreeBSD Q&A session, which may include demonstration(s).

Devin Teske is a FreeBSD "src" developer (opposed to "doc", "ports",
etc. the "src" folk maintain the base operating system including the
boot loader, kernel, and all base user land).

What does he do for the FreeBSD project?

o Maintains the boot loader menu
o Maintain sysinstall, bsdinstall, bsdconfig, sysrc, and the
   install/configuration aspects in general

What does he use FreeBSD for? At his work, they use FreeBSD as the
platform for a leading check processing system.  Customers across the
United States have used FreeBSD since 1995 to process paper payments in
the United States.  As early as 2008, our customers had a new choice of
running our software on top of RedHat Enterprise Linux instead of
FreeBSD.  In the last year of 2011, Linux helped process $50 BILLION in
payments for 2011, but FreeBSD in the same year processed $1.7 TRILLION
in payments.  FreeBSD is still a very large part of the U.S. economy in
this way.

1. http://www.freebsd.org/

The other earlier details (including RSVP information) are as before,
and may be seen on:
http://buug.org/pipermail/buug/2012-November/003949.html

And yes, he was recently at a BUUG meeting (on 2012-10-18).  Never know
who you may meet or encounter at a BUUG meeting.  (no agenda for BUUG
meetings, unless perhaps you bring one, whereas BALUG, these things may
typically be a bit more predictable).