[buug] Managing without CUPS

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Fri Sep 7 15:53:17 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> At the meeting tonight I mentioned that I no longer use the buggy &
> bloated CUPS spooler for printing, or any other spooler.  Instead, I
> pass input files through a foomatic-rip pipeline directly to the printer
> port on a printer server machine, subject only to a UUCP-like locking
> protocol.
>
> Here are the 2 scripts involved:

Might be worth trying to revive PDQ

  http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO.html#PDQ-WHICH-SPOOLER

  http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO.html#PDQ-OVERVIEW

which Rick says stagnated around 2006:

  http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/printing-setup.html

Perhaps your Python script could be generalized
and and made GUI friendly and published as
a modern PDQ rewrite.  On the other hand,
googling PDQ with various printer-related terms
indicates that the name has gotten too overloaded.
(e.g. "Founded in 1976, PDQ Printing is Northern
California's largest quick printer...")

DCUPS might be more unique but it would be
a poor choice unless you made some humorous
reference to Microsoft-inspired gender insensitivity ...

  http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/07/19/1923200/microsoft-apologizes-for-inserting-naughty-phrase-into-linux-kernel

noqp is certainly simple to type, but it doesnt
exacly roll off the tongue.  Suppose it might
do.

Anyway, thanks for posting your scripts!