[buug] info(1) / man(1) - view output in a vi(1) session

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 20 19:53:27 PDT 2012

So, from my "todo" list from several BUUG meetings back,
question came up about info(1), and grabbing all its output as plain
text, and, e.g., viewing it within a vi(1) session.  Well, years ago, I
wrote such a script - and in fact it's by far the most common way I'll
look at info(1) pages (why learn yet another interface?  info(1)
might've been a great idea before HTML and web browsers, but after that
... *really*?)

Anyway, key bit quite useful with info(1) for such, these options:
--subnodes --output

The script/program I wrote, I called viewinfo.
It can be seen here:
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/unix/sh/examples/viewinfo
I probably ought to rewrite it a bit to conditionally use mktemp(1) if
it's available, and perhaps make some other modest improvements/tweaks.

Similarly, I wrote a script/program, called viewman, for bringing the
contents of man(1) pages into a vi(1) session:
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/unix/sh/examples/viewman

references/see also:
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/unix/sh/examples/
http://www.rawbw.com/~mp/unix/sh/