[buug] Raspberry Pi - how I (will) use it

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 20 12:30:51 PDT 2014

Well, I'm not *quite* particularly using it yet,
but I've definitely got some plans  :-)
And on my way to work this morning, I also thought of another thing
I might use a Raspberry Pi for - very portable bootable USB stick
maker.  Would be nice to do something so it could be done with
very easy interface - like nothin' but some LED indicator(s).
Insert USB - have some file or the like that tells it what image
to put on it, LED(s) give status on progress and such.  No keyboard,
don't even need text display, don't need network, SD can hold quite
a number of ISOs and the like easily enough, could even write up to
two usb flash drives at same time without need for external hub.
Could even have one LED and just flash in Morse Code.  Hmmmm...
maybe small simple LCD display (one line of text or so) would be
more human-friendly, yet very low power.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about the interface designs - something to
show status, and simple yet goof-resistant ways to put stuff on USB
to tell it what to do (e.g. "magic" string and some indication of
what to write to the USB).  Doesn't need any "input" other than
USB sticks and the SD it boots and runs from.