[buug] Another trivial? scripting problem

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sun Dec 13 16:20:40 PST 2015

I need to run the "dialog" program or something really close to it
(whiptail may be fine) in a separate terminal emulator and gather the
results from it.  It is easy to redirect the file descriptor on which
dialog spits out the actual answer to a real file.  The problem is with
dialog's exit status.  That is how dialog communicates that the button I
hit was Cancel and not OK, so the answer should be ignored; but the
terminal (urxvt in my case) seems to drop the exit status from the
command it runs and always exits with status 0.

The only solution I see so far is another layer of indirection, that is
make urxvt run not dialog, but a wrapper script which saves the status.
But the whole thing is already a kind of wrapper, so this is ugly.  Any
other ideas?