[buug] Git question

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sat May 23 16:12:28 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-23 20:09 +0000, Nick Moffitt wrote:

Ian> So my question is, is there something like grep to look for a
Ian> pattern in the git _history_?  I did "man git-grep" but that seems
Ian> to only search the current revisions of all registered files
Ian> (either the working tree rev or the one in the index).

Nick> git bisect

It occurred to me too, shortly after I sent my question :-) But it won't
work, because you have no starting point for the bisection; the fix
wasn't present in the first revision, either.  I guess I could write a
script to do a linear search through the history, checking out each
revision in turn ...