[buug] Seriously - Is Android considered Unix?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 5 19:30:17 PST 2016

> From: "Ian Zimmerman" <itz at buug.org>
> Subject: [buug] Seriously
> Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 11:30:30 -0800

> Is Android considered Unix?  I have a question :-P

Well, Android is Linux, by virtue of kernel.
But as for Unix - Andriod would I think most certainly
qualify as Unix-like.  However, as for being
certified or certifiably Unix, I'm guessing no on both counts.
Probably no on certified, as I doubt there's sufficient interest for
it to be certified Unix, and secondly, it may not qualify on account of
quite possibly being sufficiently stripped of stuff not generally
relevant to/for Android, that it may fail to meet the specifications
for Unix.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#Linux_kernel