[buug] ZeroShell adventure

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 31 22:04:40 PDT 2016

Quoting Ian Zimmerman (itz at buug.org):

> I have already replaced wheezy with gentoo on my laptop.  When I am
> finished with that, including transfering all the data to the laptop,
> I plan to similarly convert the desktop.  The mail server will be last;
> upgrading it to jessie proved to be quite painless, with systemd
> invasion fenced off easily, and before jessie is out of support I'm sure
> to have more substantial problems to solve :P

In case it's useful:
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/openrc-conversion.html

I expect the same situation will apply with Debian 9 "Stretch", Debian
10 "Buster", and later.  I.e., no need to abandon Debian merely to avoid
the systemd / udev / Freedesktop.org plague unless you're seriously
addicted to GNOME (/MATE/Cinnamon), Xfce4, KDE, Razor-qt, or
NetworkManager and refuse to go cold-turkey.

> http://freedns.afraid.org/

Why outsource?  Given a static IP, it's not at all difficult to run NSD
on it.  http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html#nsd

(Having only dynamic IP is indeed a difficulty, but that same difficulty
makes it be of questionable practicality to run any public Internet
service worth pointing DNS at.)