[buug] Indexes for local directories in browser?

Ian Zimmerman itz at primate.net
Sat Oct 8 19:43:05 PDT 2016

This has bugged me longer than I remember.

When you browse a website, and you follow a relative link to a
_directory_, the server either generates a "nice" HTML directory listing
for you, _or_ sends you the contents of index.html in the directory, if
the sever configuration permits and the file exists.

But suppose you download the site with something like wget --recursive,
or you browse some local documentation that is unfortunately shipped as
a tree of html files.  Now your links (including relative ones) are
file:// links, and the browser (well, Firefox at least, but I suspect it
is the same for the rest) has no index.html convention of its own.  So
even if the index file exists in the target directory you still get just
a plain directory listing, and it takes another rodent maneuver (or a
bunch of keystrokes) to see what the HTML author wanted you to see.

This is especially irritating when the directory is large and you have
to scroll to see the index file.

Is there any neat solution for this?  A browser extension, perhaps, or
some kind of macro?