[buug] A few follow-ups from last week's meeting (burning ISOs to optical, etc.)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon May 8 20:26:23 PDT 2017

A few follow-ups from last week's meeting ...

As for CLI burning of optical media, I generally use wodim.
 From my bit of cheat-sheet notes - some of which may be
inaccurate/outdated:

burning:
CD-R CD-RW DVD DVD+-RW DVD+RW DVD-RW

CR-RW:
for previously written CD-RW blank=all to rewrite all data, or
blank=fast to minimally blank
wodim -dao blank=all && eject
wodim -dao blank=fast && eject

DVD+RW:
new DVD+RW requiers formatting, but wodim should automatically detect
and do that.  wodim should allow reformmatting with -format, but seems
to fail to do that
reformat:
dvd+rw-format -force /dev/dvd
dvd+rw-format -force /dev/sr0
# wodim -dao big.iso - ends up with lots of extra stuff on end
growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=big.iso - ends up with lots of extra stuff on end

formats as new:
dvd+rw-format -force[=full] /dev/dvd
blanks and goes to sequential mode:
dvd+rw-format -blank[=full] /dev/dvd

DVD-RW:
wodim -dao FOO.iso
# cannot fixate
#padsize=0
#-nopad

DVD-R:
wodim -dao FOO.iso

Also, wodim may also be quite useful in conjunction with mkisofs or
similar.

Also, ... ISOs, ... I don't always bring them to meetings, nor
necessarily have them already burned to optical, but
with sufficient advance notice, such arrangements can generally be
made.  Have a look here - and yes it includes the latest
Debian point release, and also at least some BSD flavor(s) (though
those may be rather out-of-date now):
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc

I'll also mention, as another quite local good resource - and yes,
even including things BSD:
Berkeley Linux Users Group http://www.berkeleylug.com/