[buug] BALUG: meeting Tu 2017-11-21: Inline Dedupe & Compression for Linux Block Storage - Louis Imershein (Red Hat)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 10 08:44:36 PST 2017

BALUG: meeting Tu 2017-11-21: Inline Dedupe & Compression for Linux
Block Storage - Louis Imershein (Red Hat)

------------------------------

items, details further below:
BALUG meeting: Tu 2017-11-21: Inline Dedupe & Compression for Linux
                Block Storage - Louis Imershein (Red Hat[1])
giveaways (Goodies/Books/publications, CDs/DVDs, ...)
help BALUG! :-) - volunteering, venue, ...
Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org
BALUG lists migrations

------------------------------

BALUG meeting: Tu 2017-11-21:

Inline Dedupe & Compression for Linux Block Storage -
Louis Imershein (Red Hat[1])

Data deduplication[2] and compression[3] can increase the capacity of
storage allowing users make more efficient use of existing storage and
to make new fast storage more affordable.  Traditionally these data
reduction technologies have been available in proprietary storage
systems, but more recently they've made their way into open source with
projects such as zfs and btrfs as well as with backup-specific
applications such as OpenDedupe. Each of these has issues, either they
are resource hogs, or they are designed to address limited use cases.
The Virtual Data Optimizer (dm-vdo) is a new open source project from
Red Hat that provides inline data reduction for primary storage to the
Linux block storage stack. Its intended for use in active
virtualization and or container workloads with minimal impact to
performance and resources. This talk with introduce dm-vdo, describe
how it works, resource requirements, effectiveness for different use
cases and performance impact.

Louis Imershein is the Principal Product Manager for Data Reduction
technologies at Red Hat. Louis came to Red Hat with 11 years of product
management experience in the data reduction software developed by
Permabit Technology Corporation[4], a company that supplied
deduplication and compression technology to major storage
manufacturers. Red Hat acquired the assets of Permabit in August of
2017.

1. https://www.redhat.com/en
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_deduplication
3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression
4. http://permabit.com/

Please RSVP to rsvp at balug.org if you're planning to attend.

Meeting kicks off at 6:30 P.M. - we start with meet and greet and chat
and such, then proceed with dining around 7:00 P.M. for dinner - please
arrive before 7:00 P.M. if you want to join us for dinner.

RSVP

Please RSVP if you're planning to attend.  To do so please
e-mail us a note to rsvp at balug.org
indicating meeting date.  If you'll be bringing additional guest(s)
please let us know total number of folks you're RSVPing for.
Also please let us know any special requirements or concerns you may
have (e.g. if you have any particular dietary considerations, so that
we might possibly be able to accommodate you, or if you won't be dining
with us but do wish to otherwise join our meeting).

    6:30pm Tuesday, October 17th, 2017 2017-10-17
    Henry's Hunan Restaurant
    110 Natoma St. (between 2nd & New Montgomery)
    San Francisco, CA 94105-3704
    1-415-546-4999
    http://henryshunan.com/
    Easy Transit/Parking Access: short walk from BART, MUNI, parking
       Trip planning:  http://www.511.org/

Delicious Hunan cuisine and reasonably priced.

Meeting Details...

Cost/Dining:
     The meetings are always free, but dinner is not (unless you are our
     guest speaker, in which case we also treat you to dinner).  For
     Henry's Hunan Restaurant, if folks are agreeable, we'll share and
     dine "family" style, and split up the costs, and typical cost per
     person including tax and tip (but not including beverages beyond
     complementary tea) would be in the $13.00 to $20.00 range, and
     commonly around $15.00 to $17.00.  Cash may be preferred to ease
     splitting up the check.  One can also specifically order the
     dish(es) one needs/prefers (e.g. for dietary considerations) - and
     we also commonly order some dish(es) that may meet various dietary
     considerations) (e.g. vegetarian, non-pork, ...).  Please arrive by
     7:00 P.M., we expect to order entrees at that time, and may order
     appetizer(s) and/or soup(s) anytime after 6:30 P.M.

------------------------------

We typically have various giveaway items at BALUG meetings.  We'll
likely have at least the below plus additional items.

Have some Linux Professional Institute[1] goodies from recent
Jon "maddog" Hall[2] / Partimus[3] event at Twitter[4]
1. https://www.lpi.org/
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Hall_(programmer)
3. https://partimus.org/
4. https://twitter.com/?lang=en

Our presenter(s) often have swag goodies.

Books and other titles!
have a look/read here:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:books_and_publications

CDs/DVDs/ISOs, etc. - have a peek here:
http://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
We may also be able to "burn" images per request or copy to USB flash,
etc.  Donations of blank or +-RW media, USB flash, or funding thereof,
also appreciated.  See the above URL for details (and the inventory
(qty.) of what we specifically have "burned" and available on-hand does
also frequently change).

------------------------------

help BALUG! :-) - volunteering, venue ...

You can do useful and cool stuff volunteering to help BALUG.

Quite a variety of opportunities to help BALUG.  Come talk to us at a
meeting and/or drop us a note at: balug-contact at balug.org
These opportunities may include, among other possibilities:
o venue arrangement (e.g. followup on potential leads,
   on-site coordination/preparations)
o chief/assistant cat herder
o assist on speaker coordination/procurement, etc.
o assist on publicity
o Linux Systems Administration (e.g. do/assist/learn, with/under some
     quite experienced and skilled Linux systems administrator(s)).
o webmaster, assistant webmaster, designer, graphic artist
o archivist/history/retrieval/etc.
o and other various/miscellaneous tasks BALUG would like to be doing
     (also feel free to suggest ideas!)

------------------------------

Twitter - you can also follow BALUG on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/BALUG_org

------------------------------

BALUG lists migrations & DreamHost.com hosting exodus

Just a reminder, hopefully everyone's switched back to the canonical
(lists.balug.org) by now, as temp.balug.org will be going away in near
future:

   o BALUG was fully migrated off of DreamHost.com hosting 2017-09-17.
   o lists.balug.org is again the canonical name for the lists,
     both for web (https://lists.balug.org/) and list email
     (@lists.balug.org)
   o The temporary transitional domain temp.balug.org does
     still temporarily persist for ease of transition, but it
     will be removed in the fairly near future (sometime on or after
     2017-11-30 but not later than 2017-12-16T13:47:00+0000).
   o Further details available on the other lists (most notably
     BALUG-Admin), and also the wiki pages mentioned/referenced thereupon.

Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org