[buug] Secure Shell Success?

Zeke Krahlin zk_lists at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 03:14:11 PDT 2000

--- Nicolai Rosen <nick at netaxs.com> wrote:
> Doing anything as anybody is unsafe to a certain degree.

Okay, that goes without saying. Unplugging my computer is the most secure,
yet the least practical.  :(

> Assuming you can be relatively sure of the security of the
> computer you're going out from, then yes, sshing in as root is
> secure.

I figured, what with high-level encryption and all, that it boiled down to
being no more risky than logging in as a user.

> > As super-user, I access weak.org like so:
> >
> >      ssh weak.org -l ezekielk

> Uh, I have no idea what you're talking about here. Looks like you're
> loggin in as the user ezekielk, not root.

Right. I am logging in via my user name for that shell account, which is
user "ezekielk". I was only talking about loading the ssh *client as root,
from my system.  I was not talking about actually logging on to the server
as root. Sorry for not making this clearer.

> > Now, that response is probably from my own system, due to having
> > secured it a la Chris Stoddard's "Building a Secure Gateway,

> Sounds like this could be the problem.

Well, I suppose for the sake of become more Linux-knowledgeable, I ought
to unravel this problem. But in the meantime, as long as it's safe to load
ssh client as root, I'd prefer to connect in Linux, rather than in
Windoze.

Thanks a lot, Nicolai!

=====
Zeke Krahlin