[buug] Great Links re. Internet/Linux Security

Nicolai Rosen nick at netaxs.com
Sun Aug 6 15:36:20 PDT 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin Nicolai Rosen quotation:
>
> > I'd like so see how (with the additional provision that the boot
> > sequence is set properly in the bios so you can't boot off of floppy,
> > something any sane setup would include). And no cheap tricks involving
> > security holes in specific implementations of protocols and the like.
>
> I'll bet you didn't know about the standardised service passwords for
> BIOS Setup access, did you?

Ah, forgot about that angle. Not all bioses have them though (I forget
what the breakdown is) so you can still run a secure system if you do it
right. Also, it's important to keep in mind that few people know about the
backdoor passwords and any additional security you can provide, from
passwords in LILO to locked down boxes reduce your chance of getting
cracked.

Nicolai Rosen, nick at netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~nick/

A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming, is not
worth knowing.
	-Alan J. Perlis