[buug] Linux Security Site

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 16 20:59:57 PST 2000

Quoting Zeke Krahlin (ezekielk at iname.com):

> These are clients who do not want to get under the hood of *any OS...they
> just want to run a reliable system...minus the creepy overhead and bad
> politics that comes with Windoze.

I don't think Linux is a good option for such people.  They will
inevitably evaluate Linux by how closely it approximates what they're
used to, while being blind to what it has that they've never seen.
Worse, in a no-network environment, those advantages are crippled or
absent, such that they cannot even be discovered by accident.

So, you're setting up a situation where they will decide "I've tried
Linux, and it's not as good."

That doesn't do them any good, and definitely doesn't do Linux any good.

> I *like that idea very much. But this is just for the Internet
> connection.  I also want to run Linux for local use, for all my
> computer needs (eventually). And *that is why I need a monitor. I just
> don't want *two CRTs for this.

No, you don't.

You can get non-graphical access from MS Windows to your Linux box
using telnet or ssh (latter preferred -- see
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/security/ssh-clients).  You can get
your graphical Linux apps (X apps) from your MS Windows desktop by
either installing an X server on MS Windows, or installing VNC software
at both ends.  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

> But I will definitely look into the *other partition utilities you mention
> on your page. Thanks!

You're welcome.  However, the point of that essay was not just to
document which such utilities exist, but to present an argument as
to why _not_ to use any of them.

--
Cheers,                Linux:  It is now safe to turn on your computer.
Rick Moen