[buug] Linux Security Site

Zeke Krahlin ezekielk at iname.com
Wed Feb 16 23:19:28 PST 2000

Hi Rick Moen, you wrote on 2/16/2000 8:59:57 PM:

>I don't think Linux is a good option for such people.  They will
>inevitably evaluate Linux by how closely it approximates what they're
>used to, while being blind to what it has that they've never seen.

I don't find that to always be the case. I have five clients who already
took my advice to
drop AOL, and go for one of the local services for a lot less cost (and
some even chose
a free service). They are all glad they did so. Any client who would not
consider taking
the brave leap from AOL to a generic ISP, I do not bother to offer any
other PC alternatives
(like Linux).

These 5 clients also have Linux running on a separate partition, to see for
themselves what
it's about. They like it, and they like the idea of dropping Windoze. The
only thing stopping
them from switching over, is the same reason I have: incorporating the
necessary security
settings. In a few months, though, I should have this resolved, and be able
to get their Linux
boxes optimally running.

Once I reach that point, I will uninstall Windoze to make their systems
pure Linux. I've already
arranged their data for easy backup and use by Linux software. These
clients are not dependent
on any work that would require running one Windoze program or another.
Mostly, they'll be
browsing the web...and the rest of their PC activities will entail the
conventional types of software
(word processing, calculator, PIM, check balancing, etc.). Star Office or
Corel Word Perfect Suite will meet all their needs just fine.

These are *not lame Windoze sheep, but a several cuts above that. They are
intellectually active, curious, and have a great desire to boycott Windoze.
IOW: they are not beyond redemption. ;)

>You can get non-graphical access from MS Windows to your Linux box
>using telnet or ssh (latter preferred -- see
>http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/security/ssh-clients).

Thanx. I've downloaded puTTY. But It seems repugnant to use Windoze to
access Linux.
Are there methods to accomplish same via DOS? (If so, would it be only
non-graphics?)

>You can get
>your graphical Linux apps (X apps) from your MS Windows desktop by
>either installing an X server on MS Windows, or installing VNC software
>at both ends.  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

The VNC site is not accessible...but maybe it's just temporary downtime.
Though
a search for "VNC" did get me a site to download this little freeware gem:

http://softseek.zdnet.com/Utilities/Remote_and_Mobile_Computing/D_26637_inde
 x.html

But why would this method of accessing the Linux box be more practical,
than using a split
video cable, where I can run Linux directly...with no Windoze shell holding
it all up? Is
this method almost just as fast and robust as using Linux directly?

---
FreeISP Cubs BBS & Chat
http://www5.50megs.com/fnc
---