[buug] Re: Jackpot!

Nicolai Rosen nick at netaxs.com
Sat Jul 8 02:37:08 PDT 2000

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin  Nicolai Rosen quotation:
>
> > Actually, I'd say that there's an even more straight-forward and obvious
> > answer or perhaps question: What are you on & can I have some of whatever
> > it is? When's the last time you repaired your own car or did something to
> > it yourself any more complex than putting gas in the tank? People only
> > consider cars simple because when they break or need to be upgraded they
> > pay somebody else to do it. The same goes for computers. (For the record
> > I repair my own car and operate my own computer)
>
> Umm, Nicolai -- the hypothetical questioner's point is that he _wants_
> computers to become exactly like that.
>
> They can't, as long as they remain _computers_ -- general-purpose
> computing devices.  Thus my point, that computers are _not_ in fact
> what such users want.

They can though. That's my point. If you payed me what you pay the guy who
fixes your car I'll make it hum too.

Nicolai Rosen, nick at netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~nick/

"Nah, mathemeticians stay away from actual, specific numbers as much as
possible. We like to talk about numbers without actually exposing
ourselves to them--that's what computers are for."
	-Randy Waterhouse, _Cryptonomicon_, by Neil Stephenson