[buug] Mouse problem in Linux

ezekielk at iname.com ezekielk at iname.com
Wed Jun 7 23:11:32 PDT 2000

On Wed, 07 Jun 2000, master Rick Moen wrote:
> begin  ezekielk at iname.com quotation:

> Hmm.  You're saying the Corel-written utility
> to configure X also creates a startup-script
> segment for gpm?

I dare not make such a claim, as I am too much
a novice! But there is definitely no "mouseconfig"
program; and Corel's mouse help filesexplicitly
says to run XF86Setup (sp?) if you need to setup
the mouse.

> Possible.  However, that doesn't mean you have to
> use that, if you don't want.  This problem might
> have as simple a solution as adding "gpm -t ms"
> to a startup script and symlinking /dev/mouse to
> the appropriate port.

I appreciate this suggestion, as it is likely the
answer to my wish to successfully operate Mandrake
7.0. So what playing with Corel did, was lead me
to resolving a problem with 7.0, that I had put
aside. Now, thanks to your explanation, and my
somewhat increased experience, I see how to do
this.

> You may have _inferred_ that, but have no reason
> to  suppose that I implied it.  Unintentional
> things can be obnoxious, and often are.

I can work with that. It *is really annoying to
try to read messages with overextended margins.
For now, I must remember to end each line before
my web-mail wraps it in the little window. I hope
this message looks better, as result.

> Hey, no problem.  I just thought you ought to know.

Well of course I may not have been aware, but I
expected you to read my mind! I am *also somewhat
disoriented, experimenting with six different
Linux distros this week. But enjoying it a whole
lot! So my apology for being a little touchy.

Of all the distros, I have decided to settle on
Mandrake for my own use, and Caldera for my
clients. They are happy to browse the web free
of constant hassling with antivirus updates, with
good online security that I've set up. They only
use Windoze for games, while one of 'em uses DOS to
run his business needs. As for editors,
spreadsheets, calculators, etc....well, they're
all there for them in Linux. Their Windoze
partitions have been shrunk to less than .5
gig. Ahhh...feels sooo good!

I *will get back to Debian, once I have more
Linux expertise under my belt. This should be in
a week or so. I have purchased the CD w/book
"Learning Debian GNU/Linux" by O'Reilly, whom you
highly recommend. (Just $19!)