[buug] Re: [Buug-admin] Message to BUUG Administration

Christopher Sullivan feedle at feedle.net
Mon Jun 12 11:39:33 PDT 2000

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 user at FormMail.To wrote:

> Message:  Well, you said "any" questions, right ? :)
>
> Uhh, just curious. You are local to me (Alameda), and was wondering
> if/what variant of *nix you'd suggest. I'm a Network Engineer, who now
> has to do IP admin on corporate systems that use Digital Unix, Solaris,
> etc. Was wondering whether I should install Linux or FreeBSD/NetBSD at
> home.
>
> Not overly concerned about running games or anything, just whichever is
> closest to what I'll actually be working with at work. From what I know,
> Linux is quite siialr, except many commands are named differently. Would
> obviously prefer to use commands that are named/work the same.

If you use Solaris at work, install Solaris x86.  It's available for "cost
of media" (which actually is around  $75, I don't figure how that works)
from Sun.  I invested the money into a CD set, and it was well worth it.
While there are differences between Solaris x86 and Solaris on Sun
hardware, it's fairly trivial to fill in the gaps between the two.

All of the "free" Unix variants have their advantages.  Linux has the
advantage of having lots of support.  BSD is rock solid.  However, both
are going to (most likely) be different than what you are going to
encounter in the workplace (unless your workplace uses OpenSource software
like mine).  This has been the One Big Problem with Unix ever since AT&T
forked the code off with BSD, and it's probably going to get worse over
time before it gets any better.

Also consider that a large part of a sysadmin's job involves hardware
wrangling.  While you might get knowledge of, say, Solaris on the x86
platform, it does not prepare you for dealing with things like the
OpenPROM stuff on true Sun hardware.   If you need this kind of knowledge,
you'll need to find somewhere you can get your hands dirty with it.  If
you are looking for such a place, E-Mail me in private and I'll provide
more info.

As far as trying to further your career, I would tend to shy away from
becoming too tied to Linux.  I'm sure some fellow listmember will flame me
for this, but I don't see Linux being the best direction to spend your
energies, because this field is already saturated, and is likely to get
worse.  BSD is a good thing to learn, because they have their "own way of
doing things" that differs from the SVR4-centric world (Solaris, Linux,
etc).  Somebody who knows, say, BSD and Solaris can easily command a
six-figure salary here in the Bay Area.  There are tons of high-school
kids fiddling with Linux right now, and they will enter the job market at
a low price.

If you have not picked up a copy of it already, I would strongly recommend
O'Reilly's "Essential System Administration" book, writteen by Aeleen
Frisch.  The ISBN # is 1565921275.  It's good, because it discusses
differences between the various platforms, so you can get an idea of how
to do things on the other side of the fence.

> Oh well, you'll probably flame me for not just showing up at a meeting
> and asking these questions.

Consider yourself flamed.  :)

You might wish to join the main mailing list.  Info is on the webpage.

-Chris