[buug] Why do I like NetBSD over Linux?

Bill bill at wiliweld.com
Fri May 5 09:05:36 PDT 2000

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Rick Moen wrote:

<humbly_snipped_by_your_student>

rick-> I like NetBSD a lot, too (though I prefer FreeBSD on applicable
rick-> hardware).

</humbly_snipped_by_your_student>

Hello Rick,

	Funny just today at work I was fighting my first install of
NetBSD-1.4 on a tester box I have setup and ran into some
configuration complaints about "bpf", the distro is NetBSD-1.4, and you
of course know the network at my work too. I take that back, the install
was one of the easiest I've done, right along with OpenBSD's and
FreeBSD's, it's the DHCP that bit me.

	I followed some online setup stuff for the /etd/dhclient.conf
file and when the "bpf" (Berkeley Packet Filter) stuff came up it kinda
stopped my coffee break and I just put a bookmark in it and continued
taking care of my current Linux customers.

	I'm at home now typing this from my OpenBSD-2.6 box and trying
to broaden my *BSD experience for I'm seeing that the whole world does
not revolve around ANY one operating system, taking a stroll through the
/dev directory of any of the *BSD's will tell you that not all primary
IDE drives are named /dev/hda, nor the first nic card eth0 !!!

	Looking forward to hearing you as the guest speaker on
Thursday, May 11 @ 7:30pm in Foster City at the BSD meeting at
"Whistle's Corp.

        Bill Schoolcraft  http://www.billschoolcraft.com
        PO Box 210076	         San Francisco, CA 94121

                " beneficium invito non datur "