[buug] DSL in the East Bay

Jon McClintock jammer at weak.org
Fri Oct 20 10:20:01 PDT 2000

Hello Lilly,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 03:28:59PM -0400, Lilly S. wrote:
> Lilly (Lillyth to some) here. El Cerrito. Quit work in SF. Working in EB
> using WindowzeNT/IIS (yuk!). Want to set up server at home with
> Linux/Apache. No DSL in El Cerrito. What, o what to do now?

I live in El Cerrito, and I have DSL through PacBell. Have you called them
to see if you can get DSL?

If you want to setup servers, I'd go with their Enhanced plan, with 5 IPs.
With that plan they allowed me to take control over the reverse DNS for
the IP addresses, so that I could control their mapping.

> Any suggestions/alternatives?

If that doesn't work, there's always dialup... Idiom is a good ISP that will
give you as many IP addresses as you need, and let you setup reverse lookups
for them.

> Oh, and would anyone have any suggestions for cheap used servers around
> the area so I won't have to build one?

What kind of servers? Intel, or something like an Alpha?

-Jon