[buug] Newbie question

Mark Handley mjh at aciri.org
Wed Oct 25 09:55:04 PDT 2000

>I'm using FreeBSD and trying to connect to the internet via modem.  but so
>far I haven't been able to figure out how to get things configured.  First,
>how can I use the distfiles on the cdrom to install programs.  And how do I
>configure my Diamond Supra Express 56K External modem so that I can get to
>the internet?

For the modem question, you need to edit /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to
something along the following lines:

default:
  set device /dev/cuaa0
  set speed 115200
  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
            OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
  allow users your_local_username

my_isp:
  set phone 1234567
  set authkey your_password
  set authname your_remote_username
  set login "ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 ogin: \\U word: \\P ==> ppp"
  set timeout 600
  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
  add default HISADDR
  enable dns

This assumes the modem speaks AT commands and is plugged into the
first serial port.

Change /dev/cuaa0 to /dev/cuaa1 if you've got it plugged into the
second serial put.

Substitute your local username for "your_local_username" above, your
username at your ISP for "your_remote_username", your ISP's phone
number for "1234567", and your password with your ISP for
"your_password".  In general it's not a really good idea to put the
password in here, but it depends on the circumstances of who will be
using the machine, and what the consequences of losing this password
are.

The line you'll almost certainly need to tailor is the "set login"
line.  The one above looks for the string "ogin:" and sends the
username, then look for the string "word:" and sends the password,
then looks for "==>" then sends the command "ppp".

To figure out what these should be, start ppp by running:
  ppp my_isp
then type "term" at the prompt, and dial manually:
  ATDT123456
or whatever your ISP's phone number is.  Then look and see what the
prompts are in your particular case.

Once you've got all this configured, you should be able to type:
  ppp my_isp
and at the prompt type "dial" and it should connect.  You'll know it's
worked when all the lowercase p's have turned into uppercase P's.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
	Mark