[buug] Can't get Linux to see more than 2 GiB on 75GXP

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 21 13:36:22 PST 2001

begin Will Sargent quotation:
> I think ATA is just the official term for IDE, so they're the same.

That's one way of putting it.  I prefer to say that IDE is the
marketroid's term for what is more _accurately_ called ATA.

> It's not LBA addressed by the BIOS right now; it's handled by the ATA
> 100 controller.

Sorry, but ATA is inherently dependent on BIOS drive-type tables.  Which
ATA has had problems over the years handling consistently and reliably.
Thus your current problem.

For a snapshot of ATA as it was a number of years ago, please see:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/hardware/eide.txt  Nothing fundamentally has
changed since then:  The standards have been updated, but the trends
cited have continued.

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window