[buug] clean install wanted

Jason DiCioccio Jason.DiCioccio at Epylon.com
Tue Jan 23 12:15:50 PST 2001

Aye, that's why I said a bit :).. Like I said though, it depends what
you want to use it for.  OpenBSD right now has the most completely
IPSec implementation out of any other OS that I know of including
commercial ones, so it of course makes a very good ipsec gateway (and
I use it for that quite a bit).  It also makes a very good firewall
in my experience.  However, I sort of meant that if he wanted a box
at home that had a basic install, but still had speed and the
flexibility of having a lot more ports to choose from should he so
choose to install them.  Then FreeBSD might be a more logical choice.
 I was weighing the options :)..  As for my signature, that's just
what i've seen in my experience, but not set in stone because it's my
signature.  Take it lightly.

Cheers,

- -JD-

- -----Original Message-----
From: Rick Moen [mailto:rick at linuxmafia.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 12:03 AM
To: buug at weak.org
Subject: Re: [buug] clean install wanted

begin Jason DiCioccio quotation:

> OpenBSD is indeed very minimalistic but it is a bit on the slow
> side for a couple reasons.

A _bit_, but not badly.  I had it as a filtering router and a number
of
other roles for a while, and didn't feel much lossage.  FreeBSD is of
course much faster.  I'll try to have suitable versions of both on
hand
for this weekend's combined CABAL/BALUG InstallFest and BAFUG/BABUG
Install-a-thon.

> BSD is for people who love Unix -
> Linux is for people who hate Microsoft

I kinda barely remember a Microsoft.  Didn't they use to make mice
and
keyboards?

But of course you're just trying to be gratuitously obnoxious, right?

- --
Cheers,                                      "Reality is not
optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas
Sowell
rick at linuxmafia.com