[buug] re: kde and OpenBSD

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 17 09:37:57 PDT 2001

begin Robert Roberts quotation:

> Did not want to do X-windows.

Then, you probably don't want KDE.  ;->  [1]

> I also read somewhere that X-windows introduces additional security
> hazards. What additional security risks are presented by KDE, if any?

There's a CORBA object broker that theoretically constitutes another
point of attack.  But, generally speaking, KDE is not really a thing in
itself, at all -- other than having a marketing campaign, a
characteristic window manager (kwm), and a common graphical toolkit
(Qt):  It's really just a suite of X11 clients, any of which you can
run without the others, as long as you meet library dependencies and
such.

[1] Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as "X-Windows".  Its name
is "X", "X11", or "the X Window System".

--
Cheers,           "I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate
Rick Moen         those who do.  And, for the people who like country music,