[buug] reply need some help getting setting up

Brian Sobolak sobolak at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 26 13:26:01 PDT 2002

On 4/26/02 10:35 AM, "Michael Salmon" <ms at speakeasy.net> wrote:

>>> I need some help trying to get a SOHO set up at my
>>> apartment in Vallejo. I
>>> am happy to compensate someone to give me a hand,
>>> since I am very new to the
>>> BSD & UNIX world. Do you have anyone who maybe
>>> interested? Basically I want
>>> to get my DSL hooked up and network 2-4 different
>>> systems. Please let me
>>> know.
>>> Brian Mickel

> How about this.
> Install FreeBSD from cd-rom, very easy. http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/
> for pointers.
> It will ask you about network setup. If you are going to do all public
> ip's then you've got it real easy. When you've setup the box
> read man rc.conf and man ifconfig. If you're in need of a nat and a
> firewall but have no idea what you're doing.. well you have a lot of
> work cut out for you. Get a book. Otherwise put an ad on craigslist and
> expect to pay someone who knows what they're doing at least $30 an hour,
> and that's only if you get some hacker kid. Not to make hacker kids sound
> bad of course.. An experienced person should charge at least double that.

You can also got to CompUSA or whatever computer center you wish, buy a
router for < $100, plug it in to your computer and DSL and get what you
want:  a network for 2 - 4 users, a firewall, NAT, and other features.

I did this 2 years ago when I bought a NetGear firewall (RT314).  It took me
10 minutes to setup.

Sometimes you need the right tool for the job.

brian

--
What planet are you on?         http://www.planetshwoop.com/
This is how I think             http://www.planetshwoop.com/blog/