[buug] Drivers in BSD 4.5 for firewire drives?

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Fri Aug 30 17:39:18 PDT 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Skip Evans wrote:

> I'm wondering if I can't use a second drive for a backup, running it
> like once a week or so, connected to a firewire drive that I can unplug
> and take off site when the backup is complete.
>
> Are there drivers for these things in BSD 4.5?

BSD/OS, no.

FreeBSD.. i'm not sure off hand. i don't think so.

but, from the looks of it, it doesn't seem that it does, at least in
4.6-RELEASE. this doesn't mean it won't be supported.

one other solution is to simply use SCSI drives, or use the removable
drive bays.

> Or is the whole idea just plain silly.

the only issue is making sure that your drives are going to work accross
the board. this means you should probably use something other than FFS or
UFS for the drive.

most people i know would suggest using a FAT32 disk for this, since it
should be supported under most OSs that you might install or use. the
limitation is filename size, although it can be fairly easily bypassed or
handled anyway.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche