[buug] Whats a good MTA?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 10 20:22:18 PST 2002

Quoting Matt Bockman (bonkers at thetechbox.com):

> I'm trying to find a good mail transfer agent. I know my qmail works
> wonders and all, but I'm just trying to figure out, cuz... I want to
> have a webmail type thing on my website, one that I can customize and
> stuff. But I gotta have a good MTA that will work with that. Anyone
> know any good combinations?

Postfix is generally excellent, and has a modular design.

Exim is really good and is simple to set up and administer.  It has a
monolithic-binary design.

Courier MTA is new-ish, but is getting a good reputation, and includes a
webmail component, SqWebMail.

All three are so blindingly fast / high-throughput in real-world
operation that the exact rankings are basically irrelevant.

More at:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/mtas

More on webmail:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/webmail

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                        This space for rant.
rick at linuxmafia.com