[buug] Re: Re: Re: Woody is out!

Jerry Cheung jrcow97 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 23 17:51:08 PDT 2002

> Does your friend have even 33.6 kbps Internet
> access?  If so, it
> would probably be practical for him to upgrade
> directly off the Net
> using apt-get.
His connection isn't very good, and it often drops him
:(

> In his shoes, I'd do that in a couple of stages, so
> as not to attempt
> too big a jump at once.  Login as root.  And then:
>
> 1.  Edit /etc/apt/sources.list as follows, comment
> out other lines:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ oldstable main
> non-free contrib
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
> oldstable/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> Then, do
> # apt-get update
> ...to get the lists of available packages.
>
> Because this will be a fairly big jump (slink to
> previous Debian-stable
> = potato), we'll upgrade critical packages first:
>
> # apt-get install perl libc6 dpkg apt apt-utils
> debconf
>
> Now, upgrade the system as a whole to potato:
Is it doable to directly upgrade from slink to woody?
It sounds risky, but wouldn't it speed him thru the
upgrade faster?

> It might be quicker, though, for your friend to just
> download the floppy
> images for woody, and then rsync every week or so to
> the "testing"
> branch's current contents.  It's kind of silly to
> install Debian and
> then not use apt-get to stay in sync.
rsync only updates the packages file, right?  One
would continue by using apt-get install some_file.deb?

I'll send all your suggestions to him.  Thanks again :)