[buug] Single male programmer ISO decent Java IDE

Michael Salmon ms at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 7 10:00:35 PDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 11:11:20AM -0500, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> hi
>
> I'm sure everyone has their religious preferences here, but since many of us write code, I'm seeking some ideas for finding a decent IDE.  I know, I know, they all suck.  Fine.  But the one I'm supposed to use for work (Websphere) sucks extroidinarily hard.

agree, agree..
Let me present you kind sir with my good friend Vim, 6.1.

> The primary goal for this tool is to write Java code.  Anything else is gravy.  I would like the following features:
>
>  - ability to tell me which class/method I'm in (must have)

Just type in the body of any method:
[m

>  - color-coding:  highlights keywords (must have)
two ways to do it.
The classic -
:syntax on
and the newer better
:colorscheme $schemename

>  - brace/paren matching: shows me visually which braces are matching

go to a brace, paren, anything that is part of a pair and type '%'

>  - decent search functionality (must have)
Easily done. Type /regexhere
and also you have replace similar (not as robust) to perl.

:%s/find/replace/modifiers

>  - auto indent (must have)

It will do it automagically for most languages depending how you write your
code but you can also tailor it to however you like. Generally out of the
box is good. It is the same to the jakarta coding standard style.

>  - code-folding:  expand/collapse blocks (nice to have)

folding is very robust in vim,
zf$numLines<enter>
is the general way to create a fold
and if you place your cursor where the fold is zD will remove the folds.
:help folding

> Debugging capability from within the tool isn't needed.

It can work some debuggers, but it's definitly not built-in to it.

> I'm open to anything, even if it means totally learning a new tool.  My current honey is Komodo because it does all of the above except tell me what method I'm in.  XEmacs bombs because the source files I'm looking at (24,000 lines of code) blow up the regex engine.  I've tried jEdit and didn't have a lot of luck - the java support was buggy.
>
> Anything I'm missing here?  Anything I should look at and haven't?

Give vim a try, it wont have the problems you listed above :)

> brian

ms-