[buug] Falling back to gcc 2.95

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Tue Mar 5 14:57:06 PST 2002

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, wfhoney at pacbell.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm building a server for work and in our collective wisdom, we decided to
> build mysql from source.
>
> On www.mysql.com we saw a warning about using gcc 2.96 as follows:
>
> 	"We recommend that MySQL be compiled with gcc 2.95"
>
> ...due to stability issues.

2.96 is not intended for real "production use". it's (this is my
understanding) a test piece of software, and wasn't for distrobution.
redhat did so anyway, and pretty much screwed many of their customers.

> I installed (forced) the following:
>
> 	gcc-2.95.3-1.i386.rpm
> 	gcc-2.95.3-2.i386.rpm
> 	glib-1.2.10-5.i386.rpm
> 	glibc-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm
> 	glibc-common-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm
>
> and then typed:
>
> 	# gcc -v
>
> ...and got back...
>
> 	gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

did you try to compile a small "hello world" program?

there's a few dozen examples out there, i'd suggest digging up a simple
test program, and trying to compile it. just because the compiler can
execute, doesn't mean it can produce an executable.

> But when I begin configuring mysql, I slam against the following wall:
>
> 	checking whether the C compiler (gcc   ) works... no
> 	configure: error: installation or configuration problem:
> 		C compiler cannot create executables.
>
> This is one of those places in life when actually knowing what you're
> doing really would help :-)

consider this an opertunity to learn :)

first thing, what's the build environment like?

do you have your libraries all ok? does ldconfig give you useful
output?

> Thanks for sticking with me this far, reading this wannabe stuff.

sure. i hope i can help some.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche