[buug] ethernet config problems

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Wed May 1 19:39:00 PDT 2002

Jerry> Hi everyone, I recently installed a Slackware 8.0 on some old
Jerry> hardware I found, and one problem I have is with the ethernet
Jerry> card.  It is a 1992 3Com 3c509-TPO ISA card.  I don't know too
Jerry> much about hardware, so when I tried to look it all up, it gave
Jerry> me some headaches.  I think the card is PnP(not sure), and I
Jerry> learned Linux is not PnP aware, and the way to go around that
Jerry> is to use isapnptools.  I need some instructions about how to
Jerry> get the card detected at boot and usable.

In a nutshell:

1/ pnpdump > foo

2/ sensible-editor foo

3/ mv foo /etc/isapnp.conf

4/ echo "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" >> /etc/rc

5/ echo "modprobe 3c509 io=0xwhatever irq=0xsomething" >> /etc/rc

where the exact details of everything except 1 and 3 depends on
Slackware does things, which I have long forgot (editors available?
uses SysV style init or One Big File? modular kernel?)

Which part do you have the most questions about? :-)
Someone else will probably be able to help you.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087