[buug] /usr on solaris X86

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Nov 7 14:32:21 PST 2002

>  Does anyone here use X86 Solaris? Is it a good way for cheapo's to learn
>  about Solaris Systems?

Since the CDs were only $80, I took the plunge a few years ago and bought
the x86 cds from Sun.  In fact, I threw them out yesterday.

The hardware support for that OS, especially if you're used to BSD or
Linux, is very vanilla.  I got the basic system up, but couldn't get
XWindows to work without some work.  To have that much pain to merely get
crappy CDE wasn't worth it.

I'd guess if you want to learn how Solaris works, find an old Sun box.
They're not impossible to find...just need to do some searching.

As for johan's comment that no one uses it in production, IIRC LMI.net
(nee lanminds) in North Berkeley had a box that was x86 Solaris.  I seem
to remember when I would login to lanshark.lmi.net that it was x86
Solaris.

(By the way Nick - if you want their professional opinion about using
Solaris on x86, I'd look those guys up.  They were way cool, way Linux
friendly, and a great ISP.)

brian

--
This is how I think:           http://www.planetshwoop.com/blog/