[buug] latex (pronounced Lay-tech)

Jon McClintock jammer at weak.org
Wed Nov 13 11:07:14 PST 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:51:52AM -0800, Bob Read wrote:
> Anybody used Latex?
> No, not the S&M variety that Claude sells, I'm talking
> about LaTeX: a document preparation system:
>
> http://www.latex-project.org/
>
> I'm trying to help out a friend who wants to publish a
> math book (lots of equations I guess) and Latex seems
> like a good choice, what with AMS-LaTeX and
> all...opinions, please?

We use LaTeX (pronounced "Lah-Tech", btw) here at work for some of our
"publications". It's got it's idiosyncracies, but overall, it works
fairly well. If you can grok HTML, you can grok TeX. One advantage is
that you can fairly readily convert TeX documents to PDFs. Example
output at:

  http://www.bluemug.com/research/els/els.pdf

-Jon