[buug] Lost root access

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Fri Nov 15 17:34:02 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Skip Evans wrote:

> Someone else installed bash on my machine, but it got installed
> in /usr/local/bin.
>
> I assumed it had been put in /bin and did a chsh on root because I need
> to compile a port that requires root to be using the bash shell.

uh. what port?

that's really dumb.

> Of course, you can guess what happens now. When I try and su
> to root, after entering the password, it says it can't find /bin/bash
> and then drops out.
>
> I have no root access know. Anyone know how I can fix this???

drop to single user mode at the boot prompt through "boot -s"

say "yes" on the /bin/sh. when you get the "#" prompt, type "mount -a"

then "export TERM=vt100", and vipw. edit at will.

write, quit, reboot.

voila.

i also suggest that you don't use /usr/local/bin/bash for your root shell,
anything that "requires" it can be fixed in a different manner.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
	"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for
	  my sham friends." -- Tom Waits