[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Fri Oct 18 19:55:30 PDT 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Rob Helmer wrote:

> I've heard this alot, and I don't get it. Where is the line
> on what's gratuitous?

ok, my own setup for my desktop, normally:

	     WM: fluxbox
	    MP3: xmms
	 status: gkrellm
	browser: mozilla

but, when i build xmms from /usr/ports, it attempts to build gnome. why?

if i HAVE gnome installed, that would be fine. but i don't, and i don't
want it installed, but the ports system is assuming i want it, just
because i typed "make" in /usr/ports/audio/xmms. dumb assumption, but that
one is made anyway.

> Just as an aside, you can compile XMMS without GNOME if you want to. I
> have no idea what features you lose, but it's doable. (
> http://bsdvault.net/viewtopic.php?topic=270&forum=2 )

it's doable, but it's not simple. the hamhanded result is that you don't
have gnome, but you do end up with broken ports, due to some of the horrid
depandancies on the various installs.

i'm really not talking about the use of static vs dynamic libs. trust me,
i LOVE dynamic libraries (as long as they don't break, then i hate them
and get grumpy). this is just about using someone elses idea of what a
port should be.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche