[buug] Convert Linux Gateway to OpenBSD

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Fri Oct 25 18:32:51 PDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Charles Howse wrote:

> Now, I have had a severe attack of the 'dumbass' today...
> If you don't mind, it would help me immensely if you would walk me
> through the steps to get my new machines to the point you mention when
> talking about installing snapshots to stay secure.

download the install floppy. read the various documents on them. there are
quite a few INSTALL and README files.

> When I look at ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386, all I see are
> *32.tgz files.
> Should I start by installing those?

essentially, yes. read the FAQ on how to install.

> Then what, and how, to stay secure?  Just patch manually or do a
> complete reinstall of the newest snapshot?

i think i already explained that enough.

> Seems to me like all that reinstalling and reconfiguring would be a pain
> in the ass.

who said it was a complete reinstall?

it's simply an upgrade.

> Also, nobody every commented on my original plan to try and develop a
> means to do a scripted install of the OS and config files.  Is this
> possible in BSD?...it is in Linux.

it's possible. just not advised.

i have explained why in previous emails.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
	"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for
	  my sham friends." -- Tom Waits