[buug] c++ book recommendation

Michael Salmon ms at formulae.org
Thu Sep 5 15:50:16 PDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:05:25PM -0700, Jeremy Brand, B.S. wrote:
> Thus spake Ian Zimmerman:
>
> > itz> Does anyone know of a book that covers the _entire_ C++ standard
> > itz> library (STL _and_ strings _and_ utils like auto_ptr) in a
> > itz> readable (not necessarily complete) way?
> >
> > Jeremy> I would have to recommend "The C++ Programming Language" by
> > Jeremy> Bjarne Stroustrup.  I don't know anyone that would know more
> > Jeremy> about C++ than him ;) I had the 1st edition, and it had lots
> > Jeremy> of detail and was very readable (for me).
> >
> > I had the _second_ edition, and that was out long before the library
> > was standardized, so it could not have possibly been covered.
>
> This is why I send the link to the 3rd edition.  :-P
>
> To quote Amazon.com:
> "In this brand-new third edition of The C++ Programming Language, author
> Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++, presents the full specification for
>                                                     ----------------------
> the C++ language and standard library, a spec that will soon become the
> -------------------------------------
> joint ISO/ANSI C++ standard."

I agree. If you know how to program already then the book by B. Stroustrup
is the way to go. Think of it as the Camel book for c++, except minus the
humour and written for an even worse language then perl (amazingly it
is possible to have a worse language then perl).
Also, www.accu.org (association of c and c++ users) has a great book review
section.

> :)
> Jeremy