[buug] Blade servers

Will Lowe harpo at thebackrow.net
Thu Aug 7 21:45:21 PDT 2003

> Has anyone formed an attachment to a particular class/brand/make/model
> of blade server?

The company I work for buys in bulk (sometimes orders of 100 or more
at a time) and we have found that per megahurtz, the real blade
servers -- the sub 1u sized ones -- can't compete pricewise with
normal 1U servers.

And they're a pain -- they need custom parts, sometimes special RAM,
etc. ... there's no midnight trip to Fry's when the disk dies.  For an
installation of only 10, I'd definitely go with something a little
more standard.

--
					thanks,

					Will