[buug] runing X remotely on an XP system

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Fri Dec 12 08:35:07 PST 2003

According to Bill Honeycutt,
> Tony wrote:
>
> >I have a small network at home.  I can connect to my freeBSD system fine
> >through SSH or telnet.  however I cannot run any of my X apps remotely
> >from my XP system.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> Check out VNC...
>
> http://www.realvnc.com/winvnc.html

I use tightvnc.org instead.  Over my DSL line, tightvnc with ...

  -encodings "tight copyrect CoRRE"

... paints an entire 1500x1100 16-bit screen in 1 sec, while realvnc
takes 10 sec.

But if you (Tony) are doing this on a LAN only, "raw" encoding
is what you want, and either is fine.  Also, in that case,
you won't need putty either (putty gives you ssh tunnelling).

A tip: when using vnc, avoid patterned wallpapers and
gradients for highest performance.  I use blackbox with
"Minimal" style.