[buug] Tracking down lockups?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at email.arizona.edu
Mon Dec 15 10:11:13 PST 2003

Hi all,

My notebook's started experiencing "seemingly" random lockups where,
every so often, X (keyboard and mouse) will freeze for a few seconds.
I'm looking for suggestions on how to track down the problem.  A
review of the system logs doesn't reveal anything unusual.  Where else
should I be looking?  Or is there something specific that I should be
looking for that I might be missing?

I'm not really sure when this started happening.  A couple of weeks
ago, perhaps.  Unfortunately, in that time I've installed a new patch
to gpm, a new module for my wireless card, and, of course, a number of
package upgrades have come in from Debian.  I do seem to notice this
behavior more often when Mozilla-Firebird is running but that may just
be my perception.

Before I start disabling modules and daemons and trying to track down
the cause by the process of elimination, I'm wondering if anyone might
be able to provides some hints and/or techniques for tracking down
such a problem?

Thanks,

Claude